Our in-person spelling bee event for 2021 has been cancelled due to rising COVID cases. However, we are holding a virtual team event called Words With Fun(d)s. There is not a team entry fee to enter. We hope you will join us! Here is how it will work:
Thanks to U.S. Bank for being our headline sponsor!
|There is no entry fee to enter a team this year!|
How it works:
• Put together a team of 2-6 people and submit your team entry form:
http://tinyurl.com/Team-Entry-Form no later than September 30th.
• Teams will have until 7 p.m. on October 15th to get pledges to earn letters.
Teams must finalize their team’s list of words from the provided letters, by
October 26th at 7 p.m. This is 100% virtual event with a Facebook live
video to announce the winners on Thursday, October 28th at 7 p.m.
• Ask your friends, neighbors, and coworkers to support your team with a
donation. Facebook fundraisers are highly encouraged!
• For each $30 raised (the cost to provide a free book a month for one child
for an entire year), a team will receive a randomly generated letter.
• Teams will work together to combine their earned letters into as many
words as possible, the longest word possible, and the most creative word
possible. Letters can be used more than one time in a word.
• Watch our Facebook page and your email for specials – for example, some
days there may be a BOGO special – $30 pledged will buy you 2 letters.
• Teams will submit the pledges for donations via a google form link provided
to the team captain.
• Teams will be supplied a google spreadsheet that all members of the team
can access to enter their words.
• Teams will have until October 26th at 7 p.m. to enter words on their shared
• See Official Words With Fun(d)s Rules.
Winning: Prizes will be awarded for the most money raised, most correct words
submitted, longest word, and the most creative word.
OFFICIAL WORDS WITH FUN(D)S RULES:
1. There is no entry fee to play!
2. For each $30 raised, a team will receive one randomly generated letter. During the fundraising period, there will be Words With Fun(d)s specials – they will be posted on Facebook – Imagination Library of Daviess County and/or emailed to the team captain. For example, there may be a BOGO (buy one, get one free) day – for every $30 raised that day, your team will receive 2 letters.
3. Fundraising may start as soon as team is formed. Pledges must be recorded on the form link provided to the team captain.
4. Words must be a minimum of 3 letters.
5. Letters can be used multiple times in one word.
6. Both singular and plural versions of the same word are allowed.
7. Judges reserve the right to discard any words not found in the Merriam-Webster dictionary.
8. Teams are not allowed to use a dictionary or any websites (scrabble cheat, word finders, dictionaries, google, etc.)
9. Team members can work as a group or independently. A shareable spreadsheet will be provided to the team. Anyone on the team can enter words on the spreadsheet.
10. Deadline to enter words on the spreadsheet is 7 p.m. Tuesday, October 26th.
11. Questions should be directed to email@example.com or call Diane at 270-316-3612.
Our Eight Annual Storybook Breakfast was held on Saturday, January 11, 2020. Stay tuned for our 2022 Storybook Breakfast date!
2019 Community Spelling Bee
This year’s Bee was back at Blessed Mother Catholic Church. The Cecil Family Spellers buzzed the competition with the word abecedarian (meaning to put in alphabetical order). The Highland Spellers once again rocked the youth teams! Congrats to all the winners – all the participants are winners!
Pictures from our previous Storybook Breakfasts:
Community Spelling Bee
For more information, contact: Diane Bowers/ Phone: (270) 316-3612